Saturday, September 3, 2011

Goldie Locks and The Three Kisses...


Since I was just a little girl, my head has always been in the clouds. A little like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, I skipped around singing to myself, and dreaming of when my prince will come. I just knew that I would find somebody to love. 

The very first boy who ever kissed me, was 5 years older than I. I knew it wouldn't last, but I wanted so badly to know how it felt to love someone. As I stared into his chocolate brown eyes, standing by the pond that summer, I decided to pretend that I was wrong. The moment was too perfect to waste. As he leaned in close to me, I puckered my lips and closed my eyes. To my surprise, I found that a kiss is a lot less closed eyes and puckered lips, and a lot more slobber and nose. (Ewww) I was the ripe old age of 11. The next day, "my prince charming" let me down easy by explaining to me that we weren't dating, just friends....with benefits.
It took me 3 years to get over the devastation.  And I didn't kiss another boy until my sophomore year of high school.

I was a little bit more prepared the second time. For one thing, he was actually my age. Also, he actually liked me, and the first time he kissed me was on the cheek. He was good to me, good to my parents, and we had a lot in common. I will always think of him as my first love, and remember him fondly.  But the first time he kissed me was absolutely laughable. He took me to see the movie U571. (about a submarine. yep, that's all I remember.) Halfway through the movie, he leaned over to kiss me. I closed my eyes, puckered my lips, and waited. Again, I was surprised to find this kiss a lot less closed eyes and puckered lips, and a lot more eyes wide open (NO KIDDING) and TEETH. I went home with a fat lip, and lied to my mom, telling her I got elbowed in the face.
Although the first kiss was terrible, the relationship was comfortable. But in the end, the truth was that we were more friends than anything else. It was fun while it lasted, but it was never meant to last. And I'm good with that.

It was all over for me the day that Daniel walked into my life. Even at 16 years old, I knew God had sent him to me. And on my 17th birthday, at a high school ballgame, in the pouring down snow, he kissed me. I closed my eyes, and said a prayer THEN puckered up. To my surprise AGAIN there was no slobber or honking nose or beety eyes looking at me or teeth. There was, however a perfect kiss with fireworks. That very moment, I never looked back. I knew right then that I had the one, the only, the perfect fit. I was so glad that it had never worked out with anyone else. When I think about it, sometimes I like to think of myself as Goldie Locks who tried all the chairs and all the porage and all the beds until she found the right one. I finally found my perfect mate, the perfect kiss, the perfect life, and I settled down and lived happily ever after.

Daniel- You are my best friend. The one. The only. There's no one like you. Never has been, never will be. I am so blessed to have you in my life, and our children are the greatest thing we have ever accomplished.  I love you.






1 comment: