Thursday, February 7, 2013

How I Learned To Believe

(Linking up with Imperfect Prose today.  This is only the second time doing so.  I thought it was time to test my writing out on someone besides my little facebook family. Be gentle.)

Their are two kinds of people in the world.  Believers and non-believers.  You can become a believer, but you can never become a non believer.  Once you first believe in something, you don't have a choice to do anything else.


I became a believer when I was nine years old.  The first thing I ever believed in...I mean TRULY believed in...was Jesus.  After that, it wasn't hard to find something to believe in.  What was hard was to keep believing even when things looked dim.  I have lost people in my life, and saw things in my life that has shook my belief to the very core.

I've lost friendships that I thought would last forever. But, I happen to have some of the best friends that anyone could possibly ask for.

At a very young age,  I was told after two miscarriages, that I might never have children.  But, at night I'm rocked to sleep by the gentle breathing and snoring of not one but two brown eyed miracles who look a mixture of their daddy and me.  And I awaken to soft voices whispering, "Mommy, can we get up now?"

My dad passed away from cancer when I was twenty four, sending me deep down in the gutter of a darkness that I never want to ever revisit again. But I am reminded daily, that I have a heavenly father who hears my every prayer.

My belief gets shaken when I and those that I love are attacked because what we believe threatens others and what they stand for.  I feel afraid when I am told that my belief brings hatred and alienates those who aren't like me. I believe that we all are different and believe differently ,and yet love can still exist between us all.

My belief is shaken when I hear of men and women who kill in the name of a God that they do not know.  Or when a man walks into a school full of children and opens fire.  Or a movie theater.   Or a public office building....But I still believe that there are good people left in this world.

I still believe.

I Believe that Christ can make anyone a true believer.  I believe there is light within every darkness.  I believe that in all things God is in control.  I still believe that prayer and hope can cure cancer.  I believe that even the greatest doctors can be proven wrong.  And I believe that even the most wretched sinner can be saved.  I believe that I can do all things, through Christ.  And my belief keeps me going.  It is the only thing that can not be taken from me.  Because no matter what, I believe.


10 comments:

  1. It's so special to read this and know (in real life) the heart behind it. I believe you believe in the most important One of all. Love you. Thanks for sharing w/ the IP community this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you said once you believed in Jesus you found it easy to believe in other things. And then you showed us - walked us right through - how you believe in good when confronted by and surround with evil, how you choose to believe in the light when all seems dark, how you look for hope in places so devoid.

    And I agreed with you, more and more, that it's that first belief in the One who has always believed in you which makes it easier to have such hope.

    Kind of like how we love because He first loved us.

    Beautiful heart, full of light. And a beautiful write. Glad you linked at IP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only am I going to be gentle, I'm going to say, "You go, girl!" I know how scary it is, not only to hit publish, but also to admit to others that you are taking brave, bold steps into the internet.

    I love the way writing can help me clarify the things I've got bumping around in my head, and that is how this piece read--a way to put into words the things bumping around in your heart and mind.

    Nice to meet you at ip--hope we'll see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I will definitely do this again. It was a blessing. And so were all of you, and your pieces that I read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. At a very young age, I was told after two miscarriages, that I might never have children. But, at night I'm rocked to sleep by the gentle breathing and snoring of not one but two brown eyed miracles who look a mixture of their daddy and me. And I awaken to soft voices whispering, "Mommy, can we get up now?"

    oh friend. this moved me to tears. i shared this on facebook. a powerful, honest post. thank you SO much for linking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am so excited and glad that I linked up with your IP community. Awesome experience. Such a wonderful blessing, and I will definitely do it again.

      Delete
  6. Oh so beautiful. Saw you on Emily's facebook. It was a hard day - a hard week - around here, and I needed this reminder to keep believing. To believe that all things work together for good for those who love Him and are called accoring to His purposes. To believe He is in control of situations that are beyond ours. Thank you for writing/sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't explain why I believe when sometimes it doesn't make any sense at all. But this truth telling and heart pouring, it's just so remarkable. I so get you. And I so lift you up your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous write. And yes, it cannot be taken from you or me. Loved this.

    ReplyDelete