Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Girl Can't Help It...

Message in a Bottle
"Nothing that’s worthwhile is ever easy. Remember that."
Nicholas Sparks (Message in a Bottle)

When I was a little girl, I spent most of my free time writing.  I wrote poetry, short stories, songs, and letters.  Anytime I felt like I needed to put my feelings into words, all I needed was a pencil and piece of paper. I even entered a poetry contest once, and was published in a book. At a very young age I decided that someday i wanted to be a writer.

There were days that I would stay in my room, and only emerge when my mother called me out for dinner.  "What have you been doing there all day?" She would ask.
"Nothin'," I'd reply. "Just writin'."
"What about?" She'd ask.
"Nothin'." I'd smile.

The truth was, I was filling notebooks full of anything and everything. Writing and rewriting, thinking and rethinking, and then rewriting again. Scribbling different thoughts down, and then crossing them out and tossing them in the trash. Crying. Laughing. Developing characters, and then living out there adventures in my mind. In my room, on paper, I could be whomever, go wherever, do whatever. I was free.

Like most ambitions, mine took a backseat to other things in my life. School. The prospect of going to college. Getting married. Having children. Work. Being a mother. This list goes on and on and on.......
I'd all but forgotten my long lost hobby, until one day I stumbled upon a story that my eighth grade self had written, in the back of my closet.  It was exactly as I had left it, a three subject notebook filled front to back. That day, sitting in the floor of my closet, I rediscovered a part of me that I had long since forgotten.

At that point I realized, this was something I still wanted to do. My life's ambition was not putting screws and nosepads on glasses. That was okay for a job, but I wanted to do something much more. Ofcourse, now, there are other things to think of. I haven't taken an english class since my first year of college, and I'm sure even then my writing skills were less than stellar. I also have no idea where to begin to write an actual novel, because I'm pretty sure I would spend more time trying to get my thoughts straight than actually writing. So, I began to write these little notes on facebook. Then finally, I stole the blog idea from a friend.  I mean, who is actually gonna read a blog about a part time optician, part time mom, full time wife? Well, not many, but, I have found that I enjoy it very much. For the first time in a while, I actually feel like myself again.

Maybe somday, I will learn how to write a novel. Maybe I'll take a creative writing class at Roane State, and someday I will give my characters life. Someday, maybe my words will jump off of a page into someones imagination just like Nicholous Sparks' characters do for me. Maybe someday, my words will reach thousands. Today, however, I will just have to settle for my blog followers and facebook friends.

4 comments:

  1. The craft can be learned. The desire can't be borrowed, bought, forced, learned, or stolen. The desire is a gift from God.

    I am learning to write, too. My books on screenwriting arrived yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i remember right, didn't you right a book already, Brandee? Maybe you can read it if I ever do it and give me your criticism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you for writing down your experiences and feelings for all who love you to enjoy. (:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was catching up on your blogs.. I see I have already commneted on this one. I felt an urgent request from Christ himself saying "she has something to share at the retreat, ask her" So my friend I am asking what do you have to share with a group of Ladies that are coming to a retreat whose theme is "The Greatest Miracle"? It will be on August 25th from 9-2 at Mt. View Baptist Church near New River. I want you to be prayfully considering teaching a class on your experience with Christ. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. He is prompting...I am hearing and asking... now it is up to you. I will contact you in two weeks with a commitmentment and a title for your lesson. Love you bunches my sweet girl. Count it all joy!

    ReplyDelete