Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Look Back Into My Past....

I remember when I was 16 years old.  I could not wait to be an adult.  I always had this dream, and I know that it was all out of whack compared to what all of my friends wanted.  It was also the total opposite of what my parents wanted.  I wanted to graduate high school, get married, graduate college, and have a baby. IN THAT ORDER.  My mom couldn't understand why on earth I would want to be married during the most critical time of my life.

I needed a career, and I couldn't have a career when I was busy paying bills and running a household.  But that's exactly how I did it. I graduated high school in May 2003, and Daniel and I married in December.  It would have been sooner if I could have done it. I mean we're talking a courthouse, justice of the peace, no attendees type wedding.  I wasn't interested in the wedding...I was interested in the marriage. Broke my parents heart I suppose...my wanting to run off a get married like that.  But my mind was made up, so they went along with it despite their reservations.

I'm not gonna lie to you.  I was in college the entire first 3 years of our marriage, and it took a toll on us.  A few years later, Daniel even admitted to me that there were times he wanted to just throw his hands up and quit. I can't say that I blame him.  Between college, his job, and my job, we hardly had a second to ourselves as an actual married couple. Not to mention the fact that we often struggled, and there were many many nights that I laid awake worrying myself sick over money that we didn't have.

But in the end, we made it...we did exactly what others told us could not be done. (Although it was exactly as hard as everyone said it would be)  That time in my life is one of the most precious times for me looking back.  We were just two kids trying to find our way in the world, and it was hard.  But it was also so exciting, and so new.  I can't say I did it the easy way, but I can say without a doubt I did it my way.  And my way was the best way for me. I wouldn't trade it, and I hope I don't soon forget it. It built my marriage to be what it is today...And I like what it is today.

I can honestly say when I married my Daniel, I married my best friend.  Now that's a rare treasure.....


No comments:

Post a Comment