Tuesday, July 12, 2011

In My Daughter's Eyes...

'

The day my son, Caleb, was born was a dream come true. We had tried for so long for a baby, and the second I looked at him I knew that I had been made to be his mother. I love him with everything that I am. There is no "me" without "him".
He has such a big beautiful personality. But sometimes that personality outshines his little sister.

I found out that I was pregnant with Carley nearly 2 months after my dad passed away. It was somewhat of a surprise for my family and I because Daniel and I were married 5 years before Caleb came along, and I had a LOT of help getting him here. I had absolutely NO HELP becoming pregnant with my daughter. The day I found out I was pregnant, I knew it was a girl. My little girl.

Carley has a very quiet, sweet, peaceful personality. She's so very loving. When I look into her eyes, all I see is me... Every single emotion I have ever had in my life reflects back to me in her beautiful hazel eyes. And when she smiles at me, all the worry of the day just melts away.

When I was told that once she got here that I would find a new and different love for her than that of my son. I didn't quite understand what all of that meant. One month before she was born, I actually cried to my husband terrified that I wouldn't be able to love her as much as Caleb. I already loved him SO MUCH that it made it hard to breath at the thought of losing him. How in the world could you possibly love anyone else exactly the same without exploding from the inside out?

On May 5, 2010, at exactly 9:01 A.M., (Via C-section) Carley Larryssa Bell was born. The very second I saw her, it was as if the love bubble our family had been encased in just expanded and surrounded her too. And I fell in love with her. And at that moment, I knew I was complete. No question about it.

Carley is my little adventurer. She never gives up. I know for sure, she will be the one who escapes the crib some day. She climbs everything she can get a leg up on. She never screams, except when it's necessary. (When Caleb takes a toy, or when I am not meeting her mommy love standards) Most days she is completely content right on my hip like a little monkey, so it's a good thing she is extra small for her age. I know that throughout her life, her brother may outshine her because she is content to be in the background while he enjoys being the star of the show. (much like I did when I was his age) But I know that she will be the one who keeps it together when everyone else is falling apart. I know this because, when I look at her, I see all the best parts of her dad, me, my mom, my dad, etc. Everything I've ever hoped and prayed for is right there in my daughter's eyes.
She is my legacy.
All that I know, I am obligated to teach her.
If she fails, it means that I have failed.
When she succeeds, I will succeed.


1 comment:

  1. My favorite thing about reading your writing is that the words jump up with your voice, and it's like you're talking and I'm sitting across from you on the couch, listening.

    I love you and Carley, too.

    ReplyDelete